Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Jetlag

I have never encountered the levels of emotional and physical turmoil that my body is currently going through before. Jetlag is kicking in big time and the meetings I'm attending are getting more and more surreal as a result. I'm waiting for peoples faces to turn different colours and floral patterns to start magically appearing on walls.

Reminds me of a story a friend of mine from Chicago told me of his school going days. Apparently one of his classmates dropped a tab of acid into their teachers cup of tea and they all sat back and watched as the effects kicked in. Poor woman, imagine not expecting a trip in a classroom full of nutty american kids, and it all starts going a bit strange. Guiltily makes me laugh.

Yesterday (Monday) I had a meeting in the morning and one in the afternoon, so after the morning meeting I decided to have a nap for a couple of hours, and when I woke up I was completely convinced it was Tuesday morning. So as a result Monday felt like 2 days. Its now Tuesday (I think) and I feel like I've been here for months.

Today I decided to not take a nap, in other words this is the first day I have been awake all the time, and I'm not so sure it was a good idea. As the meetings poured in I started to have ups and downs on regular intervals. Around every 20 minutes I would go from feeling ok to sweating and feeling very "floaty". I'm sure the last company I met this afternoon thought I was coming off heroin or something.

In Melbourne now and off to Wellington tomorrow just to completely fuck my body clock up.

4 comments:

IslandBuddy said...

Sounds like you need more overseas training to develop jetlag super power.

Holly said...

Well - to the level that you're feeling crap, your 'Mrs' is feeling great. With the healthy eating (except for the odd potnoodle), lack of smoking and daily gym routine you're going to return the health freak she always was... However, she still hasn't managed to give up the booze just yet!

Will Littlejohn said...

Ah bejesus, you remind me of that great Irish navigator, Matthew O'Flinders. Twas he who discovered Van Diemens Land when most people, i.e. the English wouldn't believe twas just a feckin big island. Twas in September 1799, I remembers it so well. We O'Flinders and George O'Bass was exploring the south west coast. George was high on Poceen he'd been hid'in away and kept insistin that we was nearin Cork. "Wrong feckin island" we kept sayin. And then , out of the blue, we discovers Botany Bay! Mind your, in them days there was none of them feckin great spiders and that. Thems was imported by the bleedin English to keep the sayin - to keep the convicts from breedin when we sent them later - especially the Irish ones.
You's is doin a hefty amount of moanin about the jetlag young fella. Jest remember, in my day we was 3 months at sea, anf that without a drop of the black stuff. Oh, by the way, if you's is thinkin 'bout headin to New Zeland, as Matty named it, a word of caution, there's no Irish there. The Maoris don't understand a feckin word they say so they banned 'em. Does you have another passport?

Unknown said...

On your return flight if they offer to upgrade you - here is a warning :
BA Upgrade