Saturday, March 24, 2007

Unfamiliar Phone Layout

Just a quick note, but something funny happened last Sunday when I arrived in Sydney that warranted to be mentioned but I forgot. I went out in Sydney with some very hospitable colleagues when I arrived, enjoyed some good food and proceeded to get quite drunk on some even nicer Australian red wine. The evening continued on the way back to the hotel, stopping at various watering holes and finally ending up with more wine back at my hotel. Toddled off to bed at 3:30am, thinking discretion being the better part of valor, given I had to be up at 7am.

When I got to my room the first thing on my mind was to set a wakeup call, given the state I was in from the red wine it took me some time to even find the phone to be honest. I pressed what I thought was the wakeup call button and when the phone was picked up at the other end I proceeded to ask for a 7am wakeup. The response wasn’t exactly what I was expecting; I had somehow managed to get through to Sydney’s emergency services, who wanted quite aggressively to know which service from Ambulance/Fire/Police I was requesting. I’m not sure if they understood my drunken request for a wakeup call but I managed to get away without getting arrested.

Who the fuck puts a dedicated emergency services button right under the wakeup call button. It’s just stupid and asking for trouble.

1 comment:

Will Littlejohn said...

I think this entry might more readily be titled "unfamiliar brain layout". But there is an issue about us Irish and fiddly little things loike mobile phones, PDAs, XBox and the loike. Most of us Irish inherite very thick fingers. These are often attached to thick, short arms and a thick short body. Take the Irish first XV and the Irish A team what I play for - they're thick all over, that's why the English lost at Croke park. Every time an Englishman went to pass the ball a big thick finger appeared in front of him and he couldn't see a feckin thing.